My husband loves food with heat, I on the other hand am a bit of a wimp. One of few meals that gives us the best of both is chili. He can make it as spicy as he wants and I can take it with garnishment, especially my homemade raw grass-fed yogurt. Another I like about it is that he always is the one to make it so it’s a guaranteed night off of cooking. Tonight he decided to play with the flavours: deliciousness! He added beets, including some of the greens, and cocoa powder. The flavours were well layered and a good combo of savory-sweet. It technically is vegan, but garnishment can make it vegetarian. Naturally gluten, soy, dairy (except garnishment) free.
Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili:
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 min
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 large poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, diced and seeds removed (for less spicy variation)
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- A couple dashes of marjorum or oregano
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can Great Northern Beans or Pinto beans
- 1 15 oz can Kidney Beans
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with chiles (or no chiles)
- 1 small beet, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable stock
Cilantro, Lime, Avocado, Cheese, Sour cream, plain yogurt
1. Select the saute function on your instant pot and let it heat up for a minute or two. Add olive oil to coat pot.
2. Add onion, garlic, celery and peppers. Stir and saute for 3 minutes, or until veggies are softened.
3. Toss in all the spices (except brown sugar) to include the salt, and mix well to coat the veggies. Saute for another minute.
4. Add all the beans, tomatoes with juice, beets, sweet potatoes, brown sugar, stock, and corn.
5. Secure the lid.
6. Select manual and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes.
7. Once cooking is complete, use a quick release. Remove the lid and stir.
8.For thicker chili, saute on high for an additional 3-5 minutes.
9. Season with more salt if needed and serve immediately with your favorite toppings.